One of the world’s most iconic brands is celebrating a major milestone as Coca-Cola celebrates the 100th anniversary of its Coca-Cola bottle. Born on November 16th 1915, the Coca-Cola bottle was the creation of the Root Glass Company in Terre Haute, Indiana.
One hundred years later, this great icon was at the centre of new advertising campaign that launched this year to celebrate its milestone birthday. The campaign included an out of home and print series called “Kissed by” and featured iconic faces including Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe all holding the famous bottle; a new music anthem track “Nobody Like You”, performed by Francesco Yates; and a series of global art exhibits featuring works from the likes of Norman Rockwell and Peter Blake.
“Over the last 100 years, the Coca-Cola bottle has evolved from a functional consumer package into a global pop culture icon,” said Katie Bayne, Vice President, Global Sparkling Brands, The Coca-Cola Company. “This year, we celebrate the legacy of the bottle and the important role that it plays in our business today and for the future”.
Coca-Cola has also rolled out a digital activation with a 15-second digital birthday spot created in partnership with Ogilvy & Mather Paris. The spot features the “Happy Birthday” song and a beautiful candle graphic created from a glass bottle and bottle cap.
The campaign has been rolled out globally, hitting more than 140 countries with elements such as:
- ATLANTA ART EXHIBIT: The Coca-Cola Bottle: An American Icon at 100 – Art Exhibition at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia from February to October 2015 featuring the original patented bottle and art from Andy Warhol
- TRAVELLING ART TOUR: The Coca-Cola Bottle: Inspiring Pop Culture for 100 Years – Travelling Art Tour covered 80,713km across 12 countries and was visited by over 120,000 consumers in 2015
- TV & DIGITAL: 15 new television and digital films
- OUT OF HOME: Kissed By – Out of home and print campaign featuring iconic celebrities
- ANTHEM TRACK: Nobody Like You – Music Anthem from emerging Canadian artist, Francesco Yates
- COMMEMORATIVE BOOK: Kiss The Past Hello – A book published by Assouline featuring classic and contemporary images of the bottle
- GLOBAL DESIGN INITIATIVE: Mash-Up – a global celebration of design featuring 100 up-and-coming designers re-interpreting the Coca-Cola bottle for the 21st Century using only black, white and Coca-Cola Red
- APP: Story of the Coca-Cola Bottle App – Interactive journey for consumers through the Coca-Cola archives in Atlanta
In Canada, the 100th anniversary came to life through in-store POS, commemorative
Coca-Cola packaging, the “Nobody Like You” television commercial and out of home advertising.