Social media analytics provider, Simply Measured released the results from a report this week that show 98 percent of the world’s largest brands were active on Twitter during Q4 of 2013, and 64 percent of successful, growing US companies are utilizing the network as well.
The Simply Measured study leveraged the company’s comprehensive Twitter reports , which allow brands to measure full campaigns.
While the study was limited to US data it still can be used to help benchmark the potential for Canadian brands. With over 500 million Tweets per day, Twitter is a greenfield of engagement potential. This Simply Measured study analyzed over 129,300 brand Tweets, 12.7 million engagements (@replies, mentions, retweets, and favourites), 47,600 links, and 52,700 hashtags for key trends and benchmarks.
Key findings of the Twitter study include:
- 92 percent of top brands Tweet at least once daily.
- Study shows Twitter’s maturity as a marketing and engagement platform. Top brands average 43,100 engagements per month.
- Over 36 percent of all brand Tweets contain links. As content marketing becomes increasingly important, and top brands are behaving more and more like media companies, Twitter is proving to be a critical distribution and engagement channel.
- Audiences this quarter grew by 20 percent. More and more consumers are opting into receiving brand messages.
- 98 percent of all top brands are active on Twitter. The social network has matured into a valuable and necessary channel for marketing organizations.
- Interbrand companies Tweet 12 times per day, on average. Top brands are all in when it comes to creating content, making a big investment in daily resources.
- Tweets that include photos and links receive 150 percent more engagement than brand averages. Visual content is effective on Twitter, driving more engagement on the content that brands post.
- 54 percent of Interbrand companies send less than one @reply per day. While top brands are dedicating resources to brand promotion, many aren’t engaging with users in a one-on-one capacity.
- 58 percent of these top brands have an audience of 100,000 or more. With audience sizes growing by an average of 20 percent throughout the quarter, these brands continue to reach new users.